Lessons for Life: What I've Gained from My Secondary School Years


2010-2017 : The Era of Enlightenment 


After taking the Secondary Entrance Assessment, widely known as SEA in Trinidad and Tobago, and being placed at the school of my last choice, I eventually settled down at Waterloo High. 

However, during my first three years in the secondary school system, I lost all motivation to study and soon became a slacker, avoiding working and effort.

My parents noticed my drop in academic performance and decided that I should transfer to another school, Holy Faith Convent, Couva.

Entering the school compound, dressed in a maroon overall and white shirt with a Peter Pan collar, and wearing a badge for St. Ann's (The Yellow House), I can say that attending this school was a unique experience. 

I studied Chemistry, Biology and Physics at both the CSEC and CAPE level, with the goal of becoming a doctor like many others. 

At the school, I met some of the most diligent students in the region. 

Even though the stereotype of dirty white shoes is true, my hypothesis is that Convent Girls are dedicating their time to their studies instead of cleaning their shoes. 

Special thanks to Miss Rochford for challenging me in Caribbean Studies class. I never would have read the entire textbook and gotten a Grade 1 without her. 


My time at school taught me the following six lessons:

  1. You define your grades, your grades don't define you. 
  2. Smart people associate themselves with other smart people. 
  3. It's okay if your question seems "dumb", ask it anyway.
  4. Teachers that want the best for you tend to push you harder.
  5. Celebrate the achievements of others instead of  being bitter. 
  6. You can learn and retain a lot more by teaching. 

Comments

  1. Hi. I am from Trinidad and also have a tech blog (https://trinbagotechie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand