From Biochemist to Computer Scientist: Charting a New Career Path

2017-2019: They Don't Teach You This In School

Five years ago, if you asked me about my desired career path, I would have confidently answered that I wanted to be a Biochemist. 

However, this changed after I started working at a bank and saw people with degrees in Biology or Psychology struggling to find jobs in their field.

This realization prompted me to research the job market through Caribbean Jobs, where I was surprised to find no job offers for Biochemists. 

This made me question my career choice and fueled my desire to pursue a degree that would offer opportunities after graduation.

While reading the daily newspaper, I came across an article about "Women in STEM" that sparked my interest. 

The article talked about the need for more women to get involved in technical fields such as Computer Science and Engineering in the Caribbean. 

Despite never having written a single line of code in my life, I convinced myself to give programming a try. 

Even with the objections of some and the skepticism of others, I stuck with it and have no regrets. 

Looking back at what triggered my change in career I have learnt the four following lessons:


1) It's okay if your career aspirations change over time.

The linear progression of education, from kindergarten to primary to secondary to university, creates a misleading framework for our non-linear journey through life. 

Holding onto your five-year-old self's dream of becoming an astronaut is not always practical. While some individuals are able to achieve this, many of us come to understand our true aspirations in our twenties or thirties.

2) Ensure that there is a demand for your skillset

Pursuing a degree in Zoology because you love it is a great decision. However, before committing to this path, it's important to consider the job market in your area. 

Research the number of zoos near you and ask yourself if the skills you'll learn in Zoology are transferable to other fields. Having answers to these questions will help you make a well-informed decision about your future career.


3) Find the balance between passion and financial stability




Though it's often advised to "do what you love and the money will follow," the reality is that not everyone starts their careers doing a job they love. 

If this is the case for you, consider pursuing your passions part-time, either as a hobby or by finding ways to incorporate elements of your passions into your current job. Whether it's through cross-training or taking on additional projects, finding ways to do what you love can bring joy to your work life.


4) Make well-informed decisions.

We make decisions based on our emotional state, so it's best not to make significant choices when feeling exhausted, stressed, or afraid, as these negative emotions can significantly impact the outcome.

 When considering a career path, ensure you approach it with a clear and calm mindset and seek advice from the appropriate sources. For example, if you want to become a dentist, it's wise to speak to a dentist, not an ophthalmologist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand