My UWI Experience Pt. 2: Welcome to Online School!

2020-2021: The Year of Chegg and Zoom Calls

I can remember Thursday 12th March 2020 like it was yesterday. I was at The Student Activity Centre (SAC) with some friends, watching them play dominoes. 

News of the first case of the novel coronavirus in our twin-island state started to make its way throughout the campus thanks to social media.

Naturally, we joked about it at first, but those giggles soon died down when we were all told to immediately leave the hall without a predefined time of return. 

We went home thinking that this entire thing would blow over in a week, but as time went on, the quarantine lifestyle became the new normal. 

Hand sanitizer and toilet paper became the most valuable commodities, second only to gold!

And with that came the wide adoption of an online version of school, a virtual environment that lacked human contact. 

As a Computer Science major, this experience brought about pros, one being the fact that we could compile our code instead of writing it on paper. 

But there were also cons that no one really took into consideration. 

One of these cons was a higher level of cheating, which made every single course harder for the general student population.

We were given less time to complete tasks, while the tasks themselves increased in difficulty. It was a war on the traditional system of learning.


My second year at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine taught me the following:


Form an online study group

Gen Z has often been categorized as the loneliest generation, and the pandemic has exacerbated this due to social isolation. 

I took the initiative to arrange study sessions on Zoom after class to help other members of my class with any difficulties that they may have. 

I also met some of my good friends on those calls, and we still meet up.


Read ahead of class

At the start of each semester, I went through all of the course outlines and started doing my own research prior to each class. 

This preparation made me look forward to class as I would always have something to contribute to the class, whether it was asking a "dumb question" or giving my opinion on the topic. 

Basically, you should be attending each class with a purpose in mind, that way you give your full attention each time.


Process > End Result

I was not the best programmer, but I knew that if I built the best process, which included reading, writing my own notes, and practicing what I had learned, I would eventually get to my end goal. 

If you follow the steps of making a cake (with the right ingredients), you will get a cake. 

Similar to how there are different flavors of cakes, people define success differently.


Use the Pomodoro Technique



The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method that involves breaking down work into intervals, traditionally 25 minutes in length, separated by short breaks. 

This technique is one that kept me going down to the end of the semester when all assignments were due, and exams were coming up.


Check out Pt. 3


Resources 

Pomodoro Google Extension

Video on Study Tips

Gather - A Virtual Space To Study and Play Games

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand