FAQ : How can I get into the field of data?

 


A simple pie chart that looks like Pac-Man


Many people frequently approach me with questions like, 'Toni, how did you get a job in Data Analytics?' or 'Do you have any advice for someone trying to break into the field?'

 As someone who was in their shoes just a year ago, I understand the confusion and frustration that comes with trying to find your way in. 

While I don't consider myself a data guru, I've gained a reputation as an expert in the field.

However, I want to make it clear that I don't have some grand story about how I solved a complex data problem.

In fact, I still classify myself as a beginner, constantly learning and using my blog as a way to reflect on the problems I encounter. 

Despite this, I firmly believe that anyone can get a job in this field with the right mindset, network, portfolio, and a bit of luck.

So, to help those trying to get into the data field, here are six essential points to keep in mind:

Excel is now your best friend

This is one fact that you must come to terms with, especially if you have a Computer Science degree. Frown upon Excel all you want, but it is going to be a tool that you will be using almost every day.

Learn Advanced SQL

I did Enterprise Database Systems at UWI, a course that covered the fundamentals of SQL. However, on the job, you need to know more than just "SELECT * FROM Customers". You will often find yourself having to optimize queries using various techniques.

Build Dashboards

Choose a visualization tool (Power BI/Tableau/D3.js) and start building dashboards for different use cases and audiences. Look at how people designed dashboards for inspiration on Tableau Public.

Learn to Speak Numbers

You need to know what numbers are telling you; therefore, a good foundation in statistics must be in place, especially if you plan on moving from Data Analytics into Data Science.

Get Certified + Apply What You've Learnt

Consider pursuing a degree or certification in a related field, such as Data Science, Statistics, or Computer Science. However, it's not enough to simply obtain a certification or degree - you must also apply what you've learnt. This means working on personal projects, participating in data analysis competitions, and contributing to open-source projects.

Keep Learning

 Attend conferences, workshops, and online courses to stay up-to-date. Keep challenging yourself to learn new skills, and never stop improving your knowledge base.

Resources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand