Humility : Admitting When You Are Wrong

 


 To simply state, “I was wrong” — is a skill


Today's post was sparked by a chat with my mentor, where I confessed that I don't always feel confident in what I am saying. 

His response went something like this:

"Toni, no one expects you to know everything. It's okay to be wrong, but don't be wrong and strong."


Being part of the Technology Department means I often find myself in the hot seat, expected to solve business problems with tools I'm not exactly proficient with.  

However, this is entirely normal, given that technology stands as one of the most rapidly evolving industries worldwide.

The last part of that statement stuck with me because I tend to always have this need to be right, even when I am wrong at first.

I often retract what I say and consult ChatGPT or Bing Chat when I find holes in my argument, all for the sake of being right.

The following is an example of a conversation I recently had:


Me: "Fruits are dead the minute you pick them from the plant."

Friend: "Are you sure about that? I think fruits are still living."

Me: Asks ChatGPT: "Are the cells of fruits still alive after picking them?"

ChatGPT: "Even after harvesting, plant cells can continue metabolic processes, such as respiration and enzyme activity, for a while."

Me: "Okay, I can agree with the fact that fruits are still alive for a while after being picked."


So, here's how to go about gracefully admitting defeat:

  • Admit that you are wrong and apologize sincerely.
  • Empathize by putting yourself in the other person's shoes.
  • Forgive yourself for the error, avoiding self-blame.
  • Demonstrate growth by showing what you've learned through your actions.
  • Embrace humility by letting go of the need to always be right.


Resources 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand