My UWI Experience Pt. 1: What I Wish Someone Told Me Before

2019-2020: The Year of Curly Brackets and Confusion

I chose to study Computer Science with Management for my degree, as I wanted to apply my programming skills to the business world.

My first year was a bit rough, as I was starting from scratch. I was confused about the purpose of curly brackets in C++, which led to me getting a C in that course.

I felt overwhelmed when comparing myself to my male classmates who had taken Computer Science in high school. They seemed to handle their assignments and programming exams with ease, while I struggled.

The combination of courses from two different faculties was another challenge. My final exam schedule for the first year was like a sandwich spread over two days.

Group projects were a good simulation of what it would be like to work in the real world. I was usually assigned to groups randomly, which meant that I was working with people from different backgrounds, pursuing different programs.

It's all fun and games until someone forgets to bring the printed project home, just minutes before the deadline.

My first year at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine taught me the following: 


1) Coursework saves lives

If I had not taken my assignments seriously throughout the semester, I would have failed that course. 

While failing a course is not always bad, failing an introductory course makes the rest of the process more difficult.

 It would mean taking extra courses per semester, if I wanted to graduate within three years.


2) Do not compare yourself to others 

We now live in a world where comparing yourself to someone else is as simple as scrolling on LinkedIn and seeing all the qualifications and opportunities that another person has. 

This may sound like a redundant piece of advice, but it is really important to remember that the only person you should be comparing yourself to is you. 

Everyone is the protagonist of their own story, which has its own plot, setting, theme and characters. 

Therefore, it is impractical to compare yourself to someone if you do not know their story. 


3) Do not take time for granted 

Einstein said that time is relative, and it's determined by your frame of reference. 

This is why some days feel longer and why time seems to fly by when you're having fun. 

To stay on top of my deadlines, I bought a five-year planner for university.


4) Group projects are annoying, but necessary 




A misanthrope is a person that dislikes humankind and avoids human society, these are the people that would thrive on an island by themselves. 

If you identify as one, then you can skip this point. 

For those that have chosen to stay, I will take it as a vote for humanity.

We cannot avoid working with others if we truly want to succeed in life and we do not always get to choose who we work with. 

Group projects are a prime opportunity for developing essential soft skills, like communication and teamwork, that aren't always learned in a traditional classroom setting.


5) Be motivated by your mission 

During my first week at the University of the West Indies (UWI), I created a personal mission statement that outlined the habits I needed to cultivate throughout my program in order to be successful.

 This included making new friends, staying hydrated by drinking water regularly, engaging in daily exercise, and effectively managing my time. 

When you have a clear mission statement, it can provide you with a greater sense of purpose and motivation to pursue your goals and aspirations.


Check out Pt. 2

Resources 

5 Year Planner

Atomic Habits

Mission Statement Builder


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Data : What to Do?

Prompt Engineering : An Introduction

Upskilling: Certificates vs. Certifications

Women In STEM : Challenges and Advantages

SQL Server Reporting Services vs. Power BI

5 Authentication Methods

There Has Been a Data Breach: Now What?

Inductive and Deductive Reasoning

Improving SQL Query Performance : Indexes

Don't Be Bland : Spice Up Your Personal Brand